Sunday, May 16, 2010

A MEETING WITH GOD


   
We set off for the Taj Mahal just after dawn. Our taxi cruised down chilly streets on which the dogs and pigs were just stirring. As we pulled up at the entrance, the elderly driver noticed I had a pen and paper, and asked if I intended to write something about what I was going to see. Kathryn said I was a poet, and always carried a pen and paper "just in case". His pink, watery eyes scrutinised me behind heavy spectacles.  
   
"Are you are a poet ?" he asked. "Or do you write poetry?
   
"I write other things too." 
    
But he would not let me off the hook. "That may well be," he said, "but are you a poet ? Just tell me that sir."
  
"I believe so." 
  
"Very good," he replied. "There is no charge. I do not charge poets in my taxi."
   
"Why not ?" I asked, surprised.
   
"A country's poets are its most precious possession," he said. "And besides, they have no money."
  
"In my country, poets are not so highly regarded."
  
"And what is your good country sir ?"
   
"Australia."
   
"They are so good at cricket," he said, adjusting his spectacles, "perhaps their minds are not easily attuned to poetry."
   
"What is your name sir?" asked Kathryn.
  
"God," he said.
  
"God ?" 
   
"I am God. You are God. He is God. We are all God.  We all have God within us. So I am God."
  
"Then thank you God," I said.
   
He smiled and nodded farewell, and drove off.
   
We entered the empty grounds, walking through the formal gardens and up the long watercourse, with the lovely white bulb of the Taj still swathed before us in early morning mist. We ascended the steps to the marble platform and looked up as the first flecks of sun played on the fragile dome, then crossed to the far side of the platform to view the Yamuna River. Everything was still and silent. Clouds hung in soft white billows over the mirror-topped river. 
   
Then, from just below where we stood, I heard something odd - a dull thwacking sound, familiar, repeated at irregular intervals. I craned my neck, and as I looked the clouds below seemed to part on cue, and I believed I saw cricket players 
in pressed creams, playing on a stretch of lush green turf. 

Kathryn peered down at the small field just above the river and nodded confirmation to me. "They've seen us," she said. "They're waving." 

We went down and joined them, a dozen friends who played early morning and late afternoon, whenever they could, cricket fanatics they said. They invited us to join in the game. Kathryn declined with thanks and went back up to the Taj, saying she would watch from there. 
   
And so we played, before a single spectator in surely the most beautiful cricket pavilion in the world. I scored ten runs, including a drive for four into a distant bush of red roses. My luck ran out when I was bowled middle stump by a young spinner called Jai, who gallantly apologised and offered to give me another life. But I took my place in the field, then later sent down a few offspinners of my own, netting a sharp caught and bowled. As the morning sun strengthened and the last of the mist blew away, we drew stumps. They had to get to their jobs and schools.
  
"You should be in the Australian team," said Jai, gracious to the last. "What do you do back in Australia ?"
   
"I try to make a living as a writer," I said. 
  
"Really? And what do you write?" 
  
"Lots of different things."
   
"I am a student," he said. "But really I am a poet. Are you really a poet too?"
   
"It's funny you should ask that," I said.
   
"Why?"
  
I told him about my meeting with God. He laughed. "He is my uncle. He is a poet too. I am a poet. You are a poet. We are all poets." He gestured up towards the dome and minarets of the Taj. "And you have come to the right place, to write your poetry. Mind you," he laughed again, "with a bowling action like yours, perhaps you missed your calling." 

I shook my head, and he walked away with a smile of farewell. 
   
I rejoined Kathryn up among the swelling crowds. "So what did you think of me as a cricketer?" I asked.
   
"God was right," she replied, flicking away a fly. "Stick with the verse."




-Larry Buttrose



This story is from my first travel writing collection, "The King Neptune Day & Night Club", Angus & Robertson 1992

8 comments:

  1. In some ways, Shine was a poet too of course. Perhaps he could lead a Poets XI tour of India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve that is a wonderful suggestion. Shine is a postmodernist of course, being a poet of spin. I'd love to see an All Offspinner and Legpuller Poets tour of India. Mind you, India would probably beat us at that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder whether Shane Warne was writing verse to all those women on his mobile phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Possibly writing it, yes Rae, or perhaps quoting Donne, or Marvell. Or perhaps not. But you know me Rae, I won't hear a bad word against Shine. A genuine dinky-di Aussie hero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, that is truly a gorgeous story. May I ask, is it true? (you don't have to answer that!) It's such a simple exchange but so profound--my two favourite things thrown together.
    Best
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Abigail - and strangely enough yes it is all true. I find it is bit hard to believe it myself now, re-reading it these years later.
    -Lx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Larry,

    I am glad to be aware of your writing and presence on this planet. I am glad you met God. God is good.
    I lived in Haiti for 4 years, 20 some years ago and I ran into God everywhere there.
    Look forward to reading more of your writing.

    Warm Wishes,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks for that Lynne. I wondered if it might be of appeal.
    All the best, Larry

    ReplyDelete